Friday, 17 August 2012

Wintery Birthday box

August Blog Party - "Birthdays"

Is it Friday already?!

Hello again my friends. Can't believe how fast the week has whizzed past. It's been a mixed bag of good and bad news for us this week. Good: we got the house fixed-up, so no more scrambling with pot & pans when it rains! Bad: they discovered numerous other "small things" to fix = more money. Good: cat's appetite is at its peak. Bad: cat's constipation is at its peak. Good: it finally rained. Bad: 3 wet dogs...urgh ... off to the vet for a wash and blow-dry.

Enough whinging, here's the real reason for this post: a birthday gift box I made for a friend. Earlier this week I met her for a quick coffee and we got to talking about doing something for her up-coming 40th birthday. Most of her friends are away on vacation so it will have to be a low-key affair. I felt sad for her but she said she's used to it. It's how she remembers all her birthdays. When she was young all her friends were away in August, just as they are now. According to her December would be the best time to have a birthday. Why? Because "nobody goes anywhere, party decorations are everywhere and people are kinder." Well, I'm not sure about the last bit :-)

We're having a low-key do over at her place this evening and I made this wintery box to house her gift. Hopefully she'll know that I heard her desire for a December bash! In a short while my entry for this month's Waltzing Mouse Blog Party will actually be on it's way to a Birthday party.

Here's the ariel view of the box. It measures 4" across, 3.5" down and the sides are 2" wide.  I used dies  by Nellie Snellen and Marianne Designs for the box.
The box is 1.5" tall,  just enough room for the brooch I got her. 
Here's a close-up of the flower on top of the box. You may recognise it as a  poinsettia.... and you'd be right!  I've used Tim Holtz inks and Stickles to jazz it up.
I didn't want to clutter the outside of the box, so the greeting got relegated to the inside. I've used a stamp from WMS Compact Sentiments and Memento ink. 



I wanted to add texture to the card and give it a snowy look, so everything got shoved through the Swiss Dots embossing folder. To soften the edges I used Tim Holtz's distress inks.

Here's what it looks like from behind. Very little patterned paper on this card.  It's by Stampin' Up! from way back when. Love that cotton lace. Matches the dies cuts too - quite by accident, actually!
Finally, some sheer blue ribbon to tie it all up with a pretty little bow. Pretty dsp - been hoarding saving it for a "special" occasion. I do that a lot - "save" but only things but not money!  

Dies
Nellie Snellen Multi Frame Die Dots Hexagon  MFD026
Marianne Designs Creatables Poinsettia Straight  LR0122
Spellbinders Label 20  S5-026

Inks
Memento Danube Blue
Tim Holts Distress Inks: Faded Jeans, Broken China and Peeled Paint 


I'm off to get stuff ready for the party. First on the list is to organise the gift. My obsession with boxes is still going strong - I've got 5 more in the works - yep you read right: F-I-V-E! Oh it's so much fun, you really ought to try it!

Thanks for popping by for a peak. Y'all have a smashing weekend and I'll see you at my next post!

Beijinhos

ps: Swing by MIM #103 for truck loads of groovy creations!

Blogged to:
Giant choc chip pecan cookie and


35 comments:

  1. Simply gorgeous Asha! What a pretty gift box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gift box, Asha! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'll be the third to say this but honestly... GORGEOUS! Love the beautiful flower with glittery edges and all the frilly lace adorning this pretty box. Thanks for all the close ups and different views - so much better to soak in all the details my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty box! Love the poinsettia on top and all the gorgeous trim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful box, those poinsetias are so beautiful on this, your pics are fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--what a stunning project. I love those poinsettias in blue. I can relate to your friend's complaints. My youngest turned 13 in July, and there have been so many difficulties over the years getting her girlfriends together for her birthday. One year, we didn't celebrate until January!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!
    And what a fabulous gift...a December birthday!!:)
    She is so lucky to have a friend like you and will treasure this for sure!
    And I have to say that the worst birthday to have is 9/11.
    I haven't "celebrated" for almost 11 years now...
    it just doesn't seem right so it's always very low key and not such a happy day knowing what it means for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful and I'm sure your friend will love it!!
    I like the blue poinsettia, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you've decorated this lovely box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! What a lovely way to present a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is sooooo lovely! I am sure your friend will adore it! Gorgeous details and I just love the beautiful flower and trims!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Asha, this is such a creative and beautiful box. I can see you put a lot of time into this box. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow this is fantastic and so much work has gone it to it. How thoughtful to make it wintey for your friend-such a different idea and I bet it will be her only winter based pressie! Hope the party was fun-low key is often far more better, time spent with a select few friends x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a sweet friend to have! What an elegant box Asha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful gift....so classy and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear - i think you're holding up just fine by seeing always the good and the bad in everything; i suppose that's how life is. The good of all this? me stumbling across a new WMS friend who's inspiring me with amazing eye candy. That box? Stunning... really truly stunning w/ all the details. You could add 10 more pics and i'd just gawk at the details... ;) have a splendid weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful box! Love the gorgeous flower and all the wonderful details you have added! This was a fabulous gift for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely box. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your box is stunning Asha. I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Saw your link on MIM
    How beautiful and elegant this looks Asha
    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. How beautiful is this box, gorgeous detail.

    I saw you creation on MIM and had to take a closer look.

    Hugs Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your idea of making a hexagon shaped box! You've decorated it so beautifully! I can envision the same design in traditional Christmas colors for a Christmas gift! I spotted your lovely box on MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an incredibly beautiful gift in every way that a gift can be meaningful! I can't say how touching I found the thought that went into this box - your workmanship is stunning, but your heart for your friend is even more spectacular! I hope she is truly blessed ... I was, just from you sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Asha this is a stunning project. I saw it on MIM and was delighted when I popped by. Thanks also for your lovely comments on my blog this week - you are too kind!
    Great tutorial too by the way.
    Stamping Shanni

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful box! The shape is fantastic :)

    Btw, I saw you on MIM.

    Happiness,
    Corrinne

    PS - I invite you to join us at Tuesday Alchemy http://tuesdayalchemy.blogspot.com for our newest challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is just beautiful--I love it!

    Chris L.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous box, love the colours, lace and the fab poinsettia flower.
    Thanks for linking up with MIM this week
    Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
    Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so beautiful!!
    Saw you on MIM!!!
    Hugs
    Lorianna

    ReplyDelete
  29. Asha this is just gorgeous. Love the colours and embellishments. All the elements work so well together. I saw this on MIM and just had to pop over to have a closer look. Hope you are having a fab Thursday. Hop on over to Doing Life - for a chance to win some lovely digi stamps from DS4J to the value of 20$.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    Doing Life
    Digistamps4Joy DT Member
    Tammy’s Scrapin Corner DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous box Asha. Caught you on MIM. Pat K.x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous box Asha it is so elegant and skilfully put together. I'm sure your friend will treasure it, it's such a beautiful keepsake.
    I saw your project over at MIM and I'm so glad I stopped by to take a closer look - your blog is full of such creative inspiration.
    Hugs Sheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello - popped in from the MIM103 challenge which shows the pretty blue flower in the thumbnail. I was so pleasantly surprised to see this beautiful box that you have made - it just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I saw your beautiful creation on Make It Monday and had to visit and take a closer look. Gorgeous! TFS!
    My entries are: #165, #189, #217, #227 and #228.
    I would love to have you visit my blog!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow!Love the colors,dp, and coloring of that awesome image.Saw this on MIM.
    Hugs,
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...