Friday, 13 January 2012

Old-fashioned Romance

Somehow we tend to dive into the pinks and reds for Valentine's. Has it got to be a saccarin sweet affair? Is it possible to mark the day without the temple-aching candy-floss? I thought I'd give it a shot...using Play Date Café's Challenge #114 as my starting point. The colours? A very mature combo of Burgundy, Gold and Plum. These are rich colours ... for the serious romantics! And that meant no chubby little cherubs, frilly hearts, XXXs or OOOs. Something old-world... and this is my thought process in arriving at my Valentine offering this week.
The patterned papers are from Basic Grey's "Wisteria" collection - it already has 2 of the challenge colours: gold and plum. I worked with a simple sketch - a horizontal band in the middle to showcase the quotation by Robert Browning.   At the top right and bottom left corners I've added plum brads from the Wisteria embellishments line. 
Burgundy...hmm, that was tricky. In my stash I had Claret CS and that's what I used for the tag. The organdy ribbon is from a reel called Wine.  Burgundy? Claret? Does it matter? After a couple of glasses of either you can't tell one from the other!  ;-)
I added a black lace trim because it's kinda sexy. The punch is by Woodware called Ribbon Heart Border.  
The tag is from Spellbinders Ribbon Tags Trio 2 die set. I ran some Claret CS (call it Burgundy!) through my Bigshot and popped it up on some foam tape.
On the inside, I just adhered a strip of the Wisteria plum patterned paper which I gave the Woodware punch treatment. I think this punch is very romantic. I didn't like it much when I bought it 3 years ago...not any more. 

Basic Grey fans might want to check out BasicGrey Challenges for a BG fix! And thanks to the quote by Robert Browning, I'm also posting this card over at CropStop for their challenge #53 "Quote Me on That".

That's all for now. Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you at my next post. Have a warm and toasty weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Fab card, I love that punched border and that quote is also one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning card! Thanks for joining us at Basic Grey Challenges. Hugs Mieko xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card and I love the quote! Thanks for playing along with our CropStop Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your mature Valentine! And you're right: these seriously romantic colors lend themselves well to doing a valentine card.

    Thanks so much for playing with us at The Play Date Cafe this week. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asha, I love your take on this PDC Challenge! You are right, not all Valentines have to be red and pink...this proves it! I love the patterned papers and the sentiment. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you've described the colors and you've used them so beautifully. That border is gorgeous. Thank you so much for playing along at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...