Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Chocolate Baroque: He Rides The Tide

Hello again! I'm back with an Art Journal page for Chocolate Baroque's month-long Texture fest. This project features 2 stamp sets by Chocolate Baroque: Underwater and Texture Fragments.

I started by prepping the page with Faber Castell Gesso and let dry completely. With a wet wipe, I applied Folk Art Acrylic Paints to create the background.
  • Deep sea: Midnight, Brilliant Ultramarine, True Blue, Evergreen, Fresh Foliage, Licorice;
  • Seabed: Lemon Custard, School Bus Yellow, Terra Cotta
The shades of blues and greens with a little black to add depth to the sea while shades of yellow for the seabed helps brighten things up.  To create movement in the background, I used a stamp from the Texture Fragments A4 sheet with Hydrangea Archival Ink.

And not forgetting the theme for the month - Texture, I added bubbles with Ranger Texture Paste applied with MFT Snowfall stencil.  And finally, little splashes of gesso to finish the project.

The sea elements are from the Underwater A5 sheet. I stamped the seaweed directly to the background with Fern Green and Jet Black Archival Inks.

I stamped the shells with Memento Tuxedo Black and coloured them with Graph'It alcohol markers before fussy cutting and adhering them to the page with Ranger Multi Medium Matte. I used soft pinks and flesh tones for these sea creatures to maintain the right balance and contrast with the background. And to make them pop, I added some shading with Dark Sepia Faber Castell PITT Brush marker.

Since the seahorse is the star of the show, to make stand him out I heat embossed him with WOW Ebony EP and added a touch of colour with Graph'It alcohol markers. The quote is put together with letter die cut with WRMK Parade. It's not so obvious in the photo below but I subtle shading with Faber Castell Cobalt Blue PITT Brush marker on each letter to knock back the white.
Challenge:
Retro Rubber Stamp #47: AG + Old Stamp (Underwater - 3 years old)
TTCRD Sept 13: AG
Simon Says Stamp Monday: At The Movies (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea)

I hope you are inspired by this project to get messy and inky. I had something quite different in mind when I started it. But after a few detours, I am quite pleased with this happy "accident".

Thank you for stopping by and have a beautiful day.

Beijinhos!

21 comments:

  1. Asha your coloring skills continue to completely amaze me!!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work Asha, love everything about your page, colours are so beautifully bold and I love the seahorse, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just magical! I love this page with the beautiful blues and the background effect is excellent. I wish you had a youtube channel:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just commented on the CB page, LOVE THIS!!! Any part of it is a joy for the eyes, and the more I look at this piece o art, the more I found wonderful details!! The shades around the shells and the starfish make really them pop out! I must remember this trick! Also the letters have a fabulous 3D look with your shades! Great play of lights and shades as always, my friend!! Your talent really shines with mixed media pages!
    The seahorse looks fabulous, a true star of the scene! And love, love your sea... so unique and moving!
    Baci amica mia! Buona continuazione di settimana!
    (Hugs my friend! Have a good rest of the week) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome underwater scene. So much detail and I love how you colored it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful creation! Thank you so much for entering the Anything Goes challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Happy crafting,
    AngelaTTCRD DT
    Taste Of Craftiness {My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!!! Stunning Page and colours Asha..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing creation Asha.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning use of color and texturing. What a fun under-the-sea card! Thanks for playing along with us a Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Retro Rubber, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, absolutely amazing, love every single detail from the background up, thank for describing how you did the fabulous background! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! What detail and coloring! I wish I could touch this card because I think it just begs for that! Thanks for playing along with us at Retro Rubber!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty, love the seahorse stamp that is made out of shells. And the background is amazing, rich of color and lots of details. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. holy WOW, what an amazing inky masterpiece! so much detail, texture, interest... and soooo much luscious color, as well! what a GORGEOUS contribution to the "retro rubber" gallery this week! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is perfection, I adore that background, its stunning. Thanks for playing with us this time at Retro Rubber. Claire DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't tell you how impressed I am with that depth of color in your background here Asha!! I just love the added detail to the background too!! You would be happy that I've been getting inky and messy my friend...just haven't shared it!! LOL!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  17. The background looks amazing, from the blend of colors to the textured look, it really has a wonderful effect. Sorry I'm late visiting. We've had good weather and plenty of activities after work and on the weekends, enjoying the wonderful weather while we can...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning! Wow! Live all the vivid color and stamping! Thanks for joining the RR challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Asha ... this is so gorgeous. Love the vibrant colors and all those wonderful stamped images. congrats on your spotlight over at Simon Says Stamp. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S. congrats on your mention over at SSS Monday!! Woot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another spectacular collage! You are on a roll, sweet girl! Hugs, Autumn (SewPaperPaint)

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...