Saturday, 13 August 2016

Chocolate Baroque: Summer Fairy Magic

Rise and Shine, my friends! I have a magical Summer inspired project for you - my fifth Art Journal Page. It is getting to be quite an obsession - one that I feel compelled to share with all of you!

I pulled out 3 stamp sets by Chocolate Baroque: Sunny SunflowersSummer Fairy Collection and Texture Fragments. ... and some stuff from my stash to make this piece:
And here's the recipe:

1. Apply Faber Castell Gesso to the page and when completely dry, lay down the background with acrylic paints. I used Folk Art Acrylics in Evergreen, Midnight Green, Fresh Fern, Engine Red, Lipstick Red, Terracotta, Pumpkin, School Bus Yellow, Sunny Yellow and Yellow Lemon.

2. While that is drying, stamp out the sunflowers and leaves from the Sunny Sunflowers sheet and colour with Distress Inks. I used Mustard Seed, Dried Marigold and Rusty Hinge for the flowers and Shabby Shutter and Mowed Lawn for the leaves. Then I rubbed a little Ranger Distress Micro Glaze to fix the inks.

3. Using a stamp from the Texture Fragments sheet, stamp all over the background with Dandelion Archival Ink.

4 Cut out flowers, leaves and hand-drawn stems. Adhere to the page using Ranger Multi Medium Matte gel. When completely dry add shading and definition with Faber Castell Pitt Big Brush Nougat.

5. Stamp the fairy from the August Fairy sheet with Archival Black Ink.

6. Add interest to the page with Ranger Texture Paste on Tim Holtz Flourish Stencil.

7. Stamp the title with Archival Black Ink. The word "summer" is from the June Fairy sheet.

8. To finish the project: sprinkle watered down gesso, add Stardust Stickles and a gentle spritz with Perfect Pearls in Pearl for a dreamy misty look.

Here's a closer look at the sunflowers:

I like how the sparkly flourishes sort of remind me of cool summer breeze. In reality, it's fiendishly HOT in Portugal!
Challenges:
Craft Stamper Take It Make It August: Stencil & Mask
Crafty Friend #38: AG
Stamps & Stencil Aug 4: Take Time To Take Flight (fairy)
Sisterhood of Crafters Aug 10: Close To Nature
SSS Wednesday: Let's Go Wild
More Mixed Media Challenge August: AG Bright Colours

If you are thinking about getting started on your own Art Journal... just do it! There's no right or wrong way ... it's a very personal project. That's how I view my pages. It is a snapshot of what's in my head and may not be to everyone's taste. But that's exactly how it should be. So go ahead and get inky and messy and have fun with it. It is mighty addictive!

That's all from me today. Thank you so much for stopping by and stay cool!

Beijinhos!

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work Asha and the sunflowers really stand out..so vibrant and pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL! Love the vibrant colors and that little fairy really POPS! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘CLOSE TO NATURE’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    The Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

    P.S. When joining our challenges, please link back to our challenge blog! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful and magical, I love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello.… Thanks for joining our ‘Anything Goes’ challenge with your lovely card. Enjoyed reading your post about how you made your card… Good luck in the draw and hope you can join us again next time.
    [Diane Louise, Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Asha, sorry not been about, not done any crafting except for DT for many reasons! Just catching up on visiting my friends. And wow this journal page just looks amazing and just the perfect way to let your creativity shine. Could you imagine mine at the moment....a blank page, not just because I am a CAS lover but creativity is zero!! Glad to see yours is still singing and hope all is well with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely amazing! I just love the beautiful colors of this design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Asha.
    Your card is lovely. What gorgeous, vibrant colours.
    A cheerful card to brighten anyone's day.
    Best wishes
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous journal page ..... love the bold colours. Thanks for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

    ReplyDelete

  9. Gorgeous journal page Asha, I love how the little fairy is skipping over the flowers, so pretty and very cute :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully created..love it! Thank you for joining our challenge at The Sisterhood!
    Diane TSH DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dear friend!! I'm so sorry that I have missed this gorgeous make of yours!!! (I see it was on a date that I was up to my eyeballs in stuff! LOL!) I have not dabbled too much into the art journal pages, BUT I have done a couple of mixed media over canvas type of material and I find it to be SUCH a creative process and it's exactly like what you say at the bottom of your post here: "There is NO right or wrong way and it's something personal to the creator of it!" You couldn't have said it any better than just that!! I completely LOVE all art forms and especially those that come STRAIGHT from someone's heart and soul....that is the KEY to making it brilliant and something for the creator to be proud of! I love the warm colors blending in the background and the distressing adds the texture to it! I love the dancing fairy across the gorgeous flowers! What is not to love about this piece my friend!?! If you like getting any messier, why not try some acrylic paints, metallic rub ons/paste or adding some dimension to it with more embellishments like sequins, ribbons, tulle, burlap, tapes, rhinestones and anything you can find in your crafty stash that you've been dying to use, but not found a place for it? I love the magic that people bring out in art form that comes straight from their heart and that's EXACTLY what you did here my friend!! I completely LOVE it!! I do hope to see more of these from you!!!! SENDING HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  12. ONe word: AMAZING! Thanks for playing along Simon's Let's Go wild challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooooohhhhh...Awwwwwww...Why I haven't seen it before? I don't understand why this post hasn't arrived in my blogger board!!! It's the most fabulous page that I have ever seen!!!! LOVE, how much LOVE it!!! Your talent has really exploded in this amazing piece of art!! So vibrant, full of light, shadows and amazing details!! Your background stunning me very much! Love how you used the beautiful fragment stamp to obtain this texture on the background! And the adorable fairy silouette walking on the gorgous flowers!! Other two "must have" in my wishlist! :) You have created a very breathtaking point of view in this scene, I look at it and I feel myself so little... :D as the fairy! LOL :) Such a big talent you have, my friend!!
    The shades, the higlights, the white elements...the adorable colours... all is just perfectly balanced, so this is really a wonderful masterpiece! Love these big sunflowers and the stems with the leaves against the warm background, and the grass is just fabulous, so impressive!! The sentiment is a perfect detail, too!
    Pinned, obviously!! https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524484221860/ Thanks so much for sharing!!! It makes me happy and dreamy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Asha. what a stunning creation. there is so much to take in and so much wonder. It must have been such a pleasure to look at it at the end and go 'I made that". Stunning

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing magical creation! Love it! Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils! Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Asha, you have definitely worked up some inky magic on this piece! How amazing! What a stunning and beautifully vibrant creation. We appreciate you sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful! I love the colors and the flowers just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...