Saturday, 18 June 2016

Chocolate Baroque: Dreams Rise In The East

Good morning, friends! I've got 2  projects to show you today, both featuring Chocolate Baroque's  brand new Teardrop Baroque Ornament.

First up is an Art Journal page. I am particularly excited to share this project with you because it's my very first attempt at art journalling and also my first proper dive into Mixed Media.  I say "proper" because I am not limited by size, dimension or bulk.  It's not a card and will not have to suffer the brutal beatings of the postal service.

The desire to do an Art Journal does not by itself translate into a tangible project. Unwittingly I've done more to discourage than to encourage myself. Lack of idea, inspiration, knowledge, skill, supplies... any of these sound familiar to you? Yep - they are the lies we tell ourselves. Truth is - if you are a cardmaker like me, you probably have all you need to start journalling.

My inspiration hit me on a Sunday morning. While watching my Dreamcatcher dancing in the breeze as the sun rose in the background, I thought to myself " do dreams rise in the east too?" Boom! Art Journal! LOL.

I heat embossed the Teardrop Baroque Ornament, with WOW Ebony EP, onto a piece of vellum. I also heat embossed the tassels in the same way. These little elements are from Indian Textiles and Indian Elephant.

First, I primed the page with Faber Castell Gesso and let dry completely. Then I inked the background with Tim Holtz Distress Paints in Barn Door, Spiced Marmalade, Scattered Straw and Mustard Seed. The page was too "flat",  so I used the Miniscript from the Mini Stamps Multibuy set stamped all over the page with Buttercup Archival Ink. Next textural interest:  I added a couple of drops of Scattered Straw Reinker to Ranger Texture Paste and randomly applied it to the page with TCW Cathedral of Love stencil. The scene is set.

I fussy cut the Teardrop Baroque Ornament and supporting elements and coloured the large ornament on the reverse with Fabel Castell Polychromos before adhering it to the page with Ranger Multi Medium Matt. Next came the quote. I die cut the words "dream" and "east" in black card with WRMK Parade Lifestyle and the rest I stamped using Lawn Fawn Riley's Alphabet and Black Archival Ink.

Finally, I added the tassels by by stringing them through the points in the Teardrop Baroque Ornament and securing the ends at the back of the page. To knock back the contrast of the white string I added stripes with a Gold Sharpie. And it's done!

Here's a close up of the Teardrop Baroque Ornament.

Another look at the page:
Challenges:
Happy Little Stampers June Mixed Media: Texture
Let's Colour Linky Party #10: AG + Something Coloured
Artistic Stampers June Creative Challenge: Red, Yellow and Blue

**********

The second project is an easy one. This time I heat embossed the Teardrop Baroque Ornament onto some black cardstock using WOW White EP and coloured it with Faber Castell Polychromos. For a dramatic finish I added little dots a Silver Sharpie.  And there you have it - a super simple all occasion card.
Challenges:
WOW June Challenge: AG + WOW EP

If, like me, you find Art Journals intimidating, I'd like to encourage you to give it a go. It can be a stratifying experience. Unlike a card, an Art Journal isn't going anywhere. It's for your pleasure and, best of all,  you don't have to worry if the recipient is going to like it. Go on... just do it. I survived and will definitely make more.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a lovely weekend and ... live your dream!

Beijinhos

Supplies:

SaveSave

14 comments:

  1. Hi Asha....you are brave....love the design and colours,just bought my great niece an art journal and am going to watch with interest.....xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two such very different but equally gorgeous creations Asha, Lovely explosion of colour.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING WORK. Love both of your creations Asha, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Asha your card is just stunning. Love the pretty background you created. Hugs Anet x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww.....I'm speechless!!!!!!
    ...Asha, your FANTASTIC art journal page is already in my pinterest board!!! :D
    https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524483322568/
    I can't stop to look at it!! Your card is very beautiful, but I'm totally in love with your mixed media page!
    I knew that you would have made wonders as soon as you have tried in mixed media projects, but I'm wowed anyway!!! :D Your piece is a music for the soul and make me blow up!! Such a vibrant, shining, stunning piece of art!!
    Your inked background and the stencil make an texture so unique, it speaks by itself!! Such a fabulous mix of colours!! And you have added the perfect details with the words- with different technique and styles!!- and the super-brilliant idea of the tassels with the strings... wow, this is really wonderful and breathtaking!! Love, love these floating tassels!
    Your dreamcatcher has inspired you, but then your heart has have a full immertion in this masterpiece! :D
    Thank you very much for sharing, this is really a great inspiration!!!
    ...And I wait for other pages of your sensational AJ, my friend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! You have blown me away Asha, what amazing journal, you always come up with some amazing ideas too.. I love the colours of both the journal and the card, so vibrant and of course super duper stunning xx
    Hugs Missy Pink xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The journal page is just beautiful. I have no words to say more...you really outdid yourself. I love the card because I love black with the colours and this ornament is striking

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a pretty dreamcatcher - thanks for sharing your project at the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Journal page is Stunning Asha. You are correct in that if we make cards we usually have the things for a journal page. The second card is beautiful also..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now you are a rock star at journal pages too!!! REALLY love your take on this mixed media my friend and it is a treasure to have for sure!! Your ornate card with the black background looks so stunning!! The colors really pop and I'm in awe of your variety in art!! HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, Thank you so much for joining in this months challenge at The Artistic Stamper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such amazing details, Asha. Love this!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    Ellie
    Let's Color linky party
    Critters and Creatures linky party

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...