Monday, 25 April 2016

Chocolate Baroque: Musical Dreams

It's Monday again, friends and we are sprinting to the end of another month. What ever happened to February and March?

Yesterday I posted my very first mixed media project over at the Chocolate Baroque DT Blog. It's not a big deal to many but it is a HUGE deal to me. Where to start? What tools and product to use? And what exactly is mixed media?

As a card maker, I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time, so how do I tackle this beast called mixed media? I forged ahead, blindly, and ended up with this:


Here's how I made this piece:

  1.  Stamp the music sheet fragment from Music Fanfare A5 sheet with Archival Jet Black ink.
  2. Apply thin coat of White Gesso to knock back the music sheet.
  3. When completely dry, apply Distress Crayons or Gelatos and blend with finger. I used Gelatos: Snow Cone, Butterscotch and Mango. 
  4. Enhance colours around the edges with Distress Inks. I used Rusty Hinge and Spiced Marmalade.
  5. Stamp the focal images from Music Fanfare A5 sheet with Archival Jet Black ink and colour with pencils. I used Faber Castell Polychromos. I wanted it to look rough and distressed, so no blending.
  6. Colour some Ranger Texture Paste with Vintage Photo Distress Stain and, with TWC Half Tone stencil, apply around the edges.
  7. When completely dry, add highlights with a white gel pen and extra embellishments with Holly Liquid Pearls and Glossy Accent.

Here's a closer look at the focal image from

Challenges:
Craft Your Passion #309: AG
Crafting With Dragonflies #23: Masuline
Amusing Challenge: AG
We Love To Create #9: AG Mixed Media
Just Add Ink .... M for Music

If, like me, you are new to the world of mixed media art,  I hope you will be inspired by my simple maiden project and give it a go. The important thing is to have fun with colours and textures.

Thank you so much for stopping by and have a fabulous day.

Beijinhos

20 comments:

  1. Hi Asha, what a wonderful make, great use of different textures and wonderful colours. I love this stamp set, I've got it and as I have so many musical friends it's so useful, just love your canvas, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunner Asha. I love the background and the blue stands out. I have never worked with gesso but am seeing it everywhere with mixed media and i think it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha, you've created a mixed media marvel! Gorgeous image, colours, textures, patterns...the works! If I had more space (and a lottery win *grin*), I'd be dabbling in this messy fun, too! One of these days...
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a stunning card Asha! so vibrant I love it lots of huggles Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear I'm not the only one having had a hard time grasping what mixed media really is. And thank you so much for explaining in words I understand. Gosh, this card looks gorgeous. A bit of this and that for an amazing background and a fantastic image and style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Asha!! This is incredible, I am in absolute awe...I wouldn't know where to start!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!! ...It is your first mixed media? Oh, it's spectacular!!! It made me fall in love!! So vibrant and sweet, really makes me dream! Fabulous choice of colours and your background with the musical sheet, gesso and gelatos looks amazing! Perfect colouring on the instrument, too! All the little details are fabulous touches! Love, love this masterpiece!
    I have never tried to make a mixed media, but you inspired me so much!
    Hugs my friend, and thanks for your replay to my last comment :)
    P.S. I have pinned your stunning work :D
    https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524482527961/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous, especially when I enlarged it and could see all the details of all the background medias. Stunning and you maintained your style with the mixed media which makes all the more lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without doubt this is a fantastic piece of mixed media. You nailed it, xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Asha, I like the design
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card Asha. Perfect for our 'M' theme this week. Love the colours and the wash of the bright blue over the musical sheet is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along this week at Just Add Ink. Rochelle xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is absolutely gorgeous. I love the colors you used and the distressing on the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your work is stunning, have just been looking through your blog for the first time . Beautiful, beautiful work.
    Ali N.Z.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...So many great techniques and mediums for such a fab effect..Lovely! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so gorgeous Asha! I love the different mediums and and ink effects - such a soft and pretty image amongst the layers of texture! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fabulous....love it. A cute image too. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafting with Dragonflies. Wynn DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card! It's like a work of art! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a beautiful piece of mixed media - gorgeous inking and love the violin. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you've done an absolutely smashing job with mixed media here Asha!! WOW!! So beautiful and I love that faint music sheet in the background!! Gorgeous details and hopefully you had fun with it!! I'm so scared of this mixed media concept myself, so I went on a crafty retreat over the last several days and gave it a go!! I will be posting some photos of a couple of things I tried! LOL!! Should be interesting if you want to check it out!! Fab job my friend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!! Beautiful card and colours Asha..Loz

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...