Sunday, 6 March 2016

Mothering Sunday

Hello, friends. It's been a good few days since my last blog post. Been feeling poorly - gastroenteritis. The usual aches, pains, cramps, fever, nausea, vomiting and a thumping headache.

End of my sob story. Here's my offering for this fortnight's Tag You're It Challenge #42, inspired by Marybeth Lopez's sweet tag. I'm working with Marybeth's colour combo and some of her design elements: the floral theme and stitched tag. For the flowers I used Clearly Besotted's A Little Something stamps and coordinating dies. The tag is Lawn Fawn's Stitched Circle Tag.  I knocked back the white with some Tumbled Glass DI, a dollop of Glossy Accents on the bow and little droplets of Mint Liquid Peals in the centre of each flower. And pink ribbon to finish the tag.

Mothering Sunday is celebrated on the Forth Sunday of Lent - also called Laetare Sunday, Refreshment Sunday or Rose Sunday (for the rose coloured vestments). Children give out presents and posies to mothers, which was incorporated in our Sunday service.

I started making these tags a couple of weeks ago. They are to be tied on posies of pink carnations that the kids in our church would preset to their respective mothers. I photographed one batch of posies. The final count was 25... and I went straight to bed after and stayed there till Sunday morning!

So, why Pink Carnations? Carnations have a history dating back more than 2000 years. Christian legend has it that at the time that Jesus was carrying the cross, Mary cried. Everywhere Mary's tears fell, pink carnations bloomed. These flowers have become a symbol of a mother’s pure and undying love for her children.
Challenges:
Tag You're It #42: Marybeth's Tag
Just Us Girls #333: Flowers
Allsorts #353: Feminine Creations


Thank you so much for stopping by. I'll leave you with a picture of a posy that was placed in St. Mary's Chapel today. I'm off to bed and will see y'all in a couple of days. Good night and sweet dreams.

Beijinhos!

23 comments:

  1. Love that you turned the square into a circle tag, beautiful job. Thanks for joining us at Tag You're It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful project you made. And, so sorry you are not feeling well. Hope you are soon on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful tag to go along with such a thoughtful gift for mothers. I did not know that story about the flowers. I hope you are slowly feeling better and that your fur babies are comforting you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for you, Asha!!! Gastroenteritis isn't cool!!! I hope you will feel good soon!!!
    Love so much your tag, and with the bunch of pink roses is really a WOW gift!
    In Italy Mum's day is the second Sunday of May.
    Hugs and take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tags and flowers Asha.. I hope you are feeling better now..Hugs Loz

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really pretty and feminine card Asha.

    Many thanks for joining in our International Women's Day theme at Allsorts.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing over at Allsorts theme
    "International Women`s Day"!
    Have a happy day;-))m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tag and beautiful project for the mothers in your congregation! What a great idea!
    Hope you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you have been so poorly, I do hope your are on the mend now. Gentle hugs!!
    Your creations are beautiful sweetie.
    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these tags are beautiful. Bet the mothers were so grateful. Hope you are feeling better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a brilliant idea for these flowers!! How sweet is that?!! :) Love the carnations and your tags are such a super pretty addition to them my friend!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry your not feeling well, Asha I loved the story about the carnations, I had never heard that. I love the posy that was placed at our Blessed Mother’s statue.
    You tag is darling! Thanks for joining us at Tag You’re It!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry too that you are not feeling well Asha
    hope you get well soon
    and lovely story too about carnations
    I love your so many tags
    did you made it all for mom
    you are so creative
    adorable flower on your tag sweet beautiful and feminin
    I try to catch up I hope I can do fast and can make card too at this night
    hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to read that you aren't feeling well, and hoping you fell better soon! Your tags are adorable, as are the posy bouquets! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wondered where you were! : ( I pray you are on the mend!! Your tags are just sweet!! I especially like the colors you selected.

    I will be praying for you friend.

    (((Hugs)))
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simply magical, those tags are utterly beautiful and very pretty, I love that you have added the meaning of Mother's day, very traditional and interesting to read. Those carnations are so sweet and beautiful rose pink to match the Mother's day theme. I hope you are feeling better after being so unwell. Sending you lots of crafty hugs hunnie.
    Missy Pink x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful tag and flowers, feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tag on it's own looks lovely, but I love that you showed us too how it looks with the flowers = perfect. I'm sure there'll be many happy mothers around...

    ReplyDelete
  20. How sweet of you to make tags for all the flowers, Asha. The round tag looks fantastic with those darling posies. Thanks for sharing it with us at Tag You're It!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful tags, thank you for the history lesson too. Thank you for sharing with us at Tag You're It!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! And lovely story. Read every bit, and love the carnation legend. Your tag is just lovely, and I'm so glad you joined us at TYI!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry you are not feeling Well. Such a lovely tag.Thanks for joining us over at Tag You're It.

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...