Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Polka Doodles Tutorial: Bookmark

Good morning, crafty friends. Today I have a cute little project to share with you which you can make for yourself or as a gift for someone. It's simple, does not require any fancy tools AND you can use up your scraps.

So let's get started:

1. You will need a large (at least 2") paper clip (coated or uncoated), 4 punched / die-cut circles and a few flowers. 

You can use die-cut / hand-cut flowers or ready made flowers. I'm using these spiral flowers from Polka Doodles new Dollie Daydream Girl Talk CD.


2. If you're using spiral flowers, roll them up as shown below. Remember these are going on a paper clip, so roll 'em tight and don't make them too big.


3. Next, using some tacky glue ( eg Tombow), adhere the leaves to one of the round bases. Make sure the leaves are on the top half only so that they show on the outer edge of the book.... it being a bookmark! ;-)


4. Then, slap on the smaller circle and just wait a couple of minutes for the glue to dry a little. 


5. When it's firm to the touch, add more glue and arrange your rolled flowers and any other embellishments.  I used 3 spiral roses form Polka Doodles Dollie Daydream Girl Talk Build a Fleur and added some ribbon and a few bling to fill in the gaps. 


6. Take your large paperclip and attach it to the other round base. I'm using a large glue dot. You can also use hot glue. Wet glue is not advisable because you want the base to be firm, dry strong enough to hold the weight of the posy.    


7. Attach the posy to the paper clip base.


 8. This is what it looks like from behind. Adhere the smaller circle to reinforce base.  


9. And here it is in action. Now you see why I said keep the leafy arrangement on the top half! 


That's a fun little project and pretty any-occasion gift. I hope you'll give it a go and use up all those bits and bobs you've got lying about the craft room floor. AND it's the perfect excuse to buy the Dollie Daydream Girl Talk CD!

Taking my bookmark to these challenges:

Make It Monday #174: AG
2 Creative Chicks #10: AG
All Crafts Dec / Jan: Anything But a Card
Artistic Inspiration #74: AG Feminine
Crafting From The Heart #4: AG
Creative Creations: AG Handmade
Lexi's Creations: AG
Crafting by Designs: Flowers

Thanks for stopping by today and I hope your day is filled with sunshine and pretty flowers.

Beijinhos!



26 comments:

  1. this is so pretty ,I just have to have one
    Hugs Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, love the idea. Thank you for joining us at Artistic this week xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, clear and easy to follow tutorial! Love the completed bookmark too, might just have to have a go!! Thanks for joining the Crafting From The Heart Challenge, hope to see you again soon.

    Victoria DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous hun love it and ty for playing along at Crafting From The Heart Judith DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful creation! Thanks for playing along with 2 Creative Chicks!
    Pam
    2 Creative Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty bookmark Asha. I will now"bookmark! it for later! Groan!!! Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a pretty creation sweetie. I hope to do it at some time but will not turn out anything like yours. Lol!!!

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. fab project thanks for sharing with lexis creations Rachel DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome project and tutorial, I love learning from my online friends! Have a good week, I'll be back to visit from MIM next week. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow your paper flowers are amazing!! I have not made one like them before, but I have made a punch art bookmark. They're so fun to make!! Thanks for the tut that I will come back to visit soon! HUGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful project!! I bought some large paper clips a few years ago to make bookmarks but wasn't planning anything this fancy. These are so pretty! You've inspired me to get at them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, fun bookmark! I love making flowers this way! Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog and for becoming a follower! It made my day!
    Hugs, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning Asha...very clever and the paper flowers are so beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Make it Monday..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful tutorial, Asha and love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are Fantastic Asha. Thanks for the tutorial. I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic design and a great idea for a small personal gift! I think this also would look beautiful as an embellishment on a card! Well done, Asha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is great and think I will have a go of this with my nephew he will love making for his girlfirends and mum, thanks for sharing with us at Crafty catz this week good luck

    ReplyDelete
  18. Asha this is so good! TFS
    Anj
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Outstanding Asha! I love your gorgeous flowers and what a great idea for book lovers. :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty and would also look good decorating a gift bag too. Excellent tutorial.
    Thank you for joining in at Craft My Life challenge. Hugs Mrs A. (DT.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Asha these flowers are outstanding!! so tiny and sweet

    ReplyDelete
  22. Asha this is the best project !! I love it and such a cool idea x

    ReplyDelete
  23. EEK that's just precious!! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...