Sunday, 28 July 2013

Christmas Card Club #14: Origami / Teabag Fold

In the scorching heat of July what do we do? Make a Christmas card, of course! And, over at the Christmas Card Clubhouse our very own Miss Karen has convinced us to incorporate an often neglected technique in our cards: Origami or Teabag Fold.

Instead of folding itty bitty pieces of paper and putting them together I decided to take the lazy way out. And so, I grabbed one piece 6x6 pale blue polka dot paper and made an origami 8 pointed star. It could also pass off as a snowflake, I guess. Either way, they also make wonderful festive ornaments.

Here's the link to a tutorial from Origami Instructions.com on how to make the 8 Pointed Star. I could have done a tutorial but I don't want to make a public spectacle of my veiny, knotty fingers. Besides, it's important that you to learn from a pro.

This is my card. I'm keeping it simple  - it's all about the star.


The patterned papers are Doodlebug....ancient 12x12 sheets from I don't know when or where.  Keeping the embellies simple with 4 colourless bling, a flat blue crystal flower and a small silver bow - that's it. 

It's a dimensional star BUT the flaps fold down flat for easy mailing. All the recipient has to do is fluff it up and it's back in business. The quarter inch ribbon and bling are so small they don't add any bulk at all to the card. 
And just because I'm in a festive mood, I lined the edges with Icicle Stickles.  

The sentiments are from WMS Seasons of Love Tags stamped with Memento Danube Blue.  


 Challenges for this card:

Card Crafters' Circle #85 "Christmas in July"
Jellypark Challenges "Christmas in July"
52 Christmas Card Throwdown "July Embellishment - Stitching"
Crimbo Crackers #46 "Anything Goes"
Hiding In My Craftroom #108 "Christmas In July"
Totally Gorjuss #194 Christmas In July"
Crafting For All Seasons #57 "Christmas In July"
Flourishes Timeless Tuesday #230 "Christmas In July + A Catch: Must Be Semi Flat"
Crafting By Designs "Christmas In July"
Make It Monday #151 "Anything Goes"



That's my card for today. Thanks for stopping by and have blessed Sunday!

Beijinhos!




35 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous Christmas card with the origami star....it looks beautiful with the little bit of sparkle you added and I love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is beautiful! Great job on the origami, and I love the Stickles! Thanks for the link to the origami site! I'm so glad you joined us for the Timeless Tuesday Christmas in July Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great teabag card Asha. The spots and swirls look great. I'm losing marbles - I forgot all about the challenge! I'm off to beat myself up now! love from Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous,love the fab design.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Asha
    Gorgeous card..... Love it.... Thanks for the link...
    Hugs Sylvie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning . Beautiful origami. Thanks for sharing on Card Crafters Circle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly a gorgeous card - love love the star. I haven't done teabag folding or origami in over 10 years! Wonderful. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Asha - this is just totally superb! I love your choice of papers for this one. I've lost me marbles like Christine 'cos I thought I had until 1st August - plus I haven't a clue how to do anything with teabags or origamis!!! LOL!!! Great card!

    Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Asha this is gorgeous! love love loveeeeeeeeeee it!! great paper its beautiful huggles Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word girl, this is amazing!! I love the glitter look with the blues, it's just perfect! I get easily frustrated when I do those origami folds, so this is awesome girl!! TFS! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. This folded paper star looks fantastic, Asha! And love your choice of different blue patterned papers too. Your card is simply elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful Asha, I like the origami folds and the papers.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this card. Sold. I want it for xmas, please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful card. The star origami was a brilliant idea! Love the colours you chose for this and of course I love the inside as well! Such an appropriate sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I used to love origami as a child - maybe I should take it up again:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, Asha! This is gorgeous! I don't think you overdo cards at all, as you mentioned in a comment! It's perfect and I love the glitter! Have a wonderful week!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love love the beautiful card Asha! The folds are so perfect! AND you are tooo funny girlie, I bet you have beautiful hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful what a cool idea to use Origami! Saw your card on Make It Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Asha Beautiful card I love the way you have glittered it.
    Hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  20. way too clever my friend!! No, it is stunning, I could only dream of making this! Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Asha, this is amazing! LOVE the fabulous fold and I adore the glitter accents on the edges of your folded portion! Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Asha, that's gorgeous! I haven't done folding like that in YEARS and must try it again. Thanks for the link :)
    The stickles on the edges are perfection - they really emphasize the dimension :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tea bag folding is something I have yet to learn but am looking forward to trying it. This is gorgeous! Love all the blue and the sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic card and folded star Asha. Spotted this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful holiday card Asha! I love the 3D star... so clever and so sparkly! Thanks for playing along with our Timeless Tuesday Challenge this week at Flourishes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all the colors and glitter. And the origami star is awesome! Thanks for joining us at MIM and good luck!

    Rocio DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is absolutely fabulous! I've tried a dahlia fold technique before and it frustrated me something fierce, so I can appreciate the time and effort it took to create your star. You did an amazing job with it! I love the monochromatic blues too. Keeping the embellishments simple was definitely the way to go, to keep the star, well, "the star of the show"! :)
    Thanks for sharing your card with us at 52{C}CT this week! I hope you'll join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautifully folded star Asha, thanks for sharing at CFAS for our Christmas in July Challenge, and good luck.
    Cindy DT

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do like the cool shades of blue on your star! Thanks for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stunning! Love the paper folding!

    Thank you for joining us at Totally Gorjuss!
    Hugs,
    Marie XX
    http://thejoyofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, this is beautiful. I saw it on Make it Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it! Spotted it on MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  33. As always apologies for being so late to your lovely party Asha! This is not an easy way out - it's so beautiful - thank you for joining in with my challenge it means a lot! This is so stunning that I'm going to follow the link to get the instructions - thank you for that Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  34. The simplicity paid off, this is beautiful Asha. Thanks for sharing your card with us at 52 CCT (great stitched border too!)

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the link on how to make that wonderful star. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...