Sunday, 16 December 2012

The Jolly Bishop

Christmas is under 10 days away! Really? That soon? It's scary how fast the days are slipping by and before we know it there'll have a brand new year to deal with. I hope it's a good one.

I'm still making cards for friends, baking festive goodies to give as gifts, making boxes to house these goodies, buying presents and wrapping them. And in the middle of this there's choir practice for our big performance next week. So yes, I'm bouncing from pillar to post.

However, over at Eclectic Ellapu, all is calm, all is bright. Our lovely Lady Boss Elaine, has decided to host a challenge that is a firm favourite with everyone: "Anything Goes". And, the best part is this challenge is open until January 5, 2013! So you have plenty of time to make a card, tag, layout, 3D project or whatever your heart desires.
   
My contribution to the challenge is this card I made for my German friend. She's had a rough year and I thought I'd send St Nick over to cheer her up. Santa Claus we know and love today evolved from St Nicholas, a 14th century Greek saint and bishop of Myra, now Turkey. He is known for his many miracles and generous gift-giving. Over the centuries St Nicholas morphed into Santa Claus, a rotund cheerful man in a red suit. I suspect in the beginning the Jolly Bishop would have looked something like this:


The card base measures 4"x 3,5". The patterned paper is from Dovecraft's  Back to Basics  Christmas Vintage Collection 8x8 pad.  The stamped image of St Nick is from WMS's Nutcracker Sweet set.

Here's  a close-up of St Nick. I stamped him with Memento Tuxedo Black  and coloured him with SN markers. Then I cut him out with Spellbinders Wonky Rectangles die and inked the edges TH's Antique Linen. 

On the inside, a nice little Christmas greeting in German with Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink.

Although this is a small card and the sketch is a simple one, the colouring took awhile... well worth the effort for a special friend.


You have plenty of time to play along. So why not start with a tour of the DT members' blog and be inspired. I'm looking forward to seeing your creations for Eclectic Ellapu Challenge #10

Off to bed now...it's been a  long day. I'll see you later today with Card #9 of my Holiday Mini Bailout series. 

Beijinhos!


Blogged to:

11 comments:

  1. yes, a great challenge at this time of year! And the Jolly Bishop looks very proud and regal, sure your friend will be cheered by this. And congrats on the 52CC win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card, love your St Nick image!

    Thank you for sharing with us at My Time To Craft this week, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha, I love the colors you used on this image. It's gorgeous! So happy you joined us at The Squirrel and The Fox for our Christmas challenge. :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's wonderful. Love the colours you've used on him. The background paper complements him beautifully and that ribbon looks so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant card Asha, I am sure your friend will treasure it - and I loved to hear the background of St Nick, I had not realised it all started in Turkey.
    Hugs
    Suzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card Asha - what a great image. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely traditional card - very nice to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful coloring! I haven't played with my markers in a long while - you've inspired me to let them breathe a bit ;) although I don't color quite as nice a you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant card and love the image! Thanks for joining us at Card Makin' Mamas, good luck Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card! Thanks so much for participating in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute Card!
    Thank you for joining us at RRR!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...