Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Zalig Kerstfeest

Rumour has it, Christmas will be upon us in 69 days! Can you believe that? Where has the year gone? I know I've been making Christmas cards but my box is still looking bare. Time to switch to a smaller box!

For today's card, I've employed the Bargello technique for the background. Mynnette of Technique Tuesday has written up a wonderful tutorial on this for her October challenge and it really is easy. I followed Mynnette's instructions...sort of... until I did a left turn and went on my merry way. If you're a good girl, you'll do as you're told:

1. start by cutting 1/4" strips of several patterned papers;
2. lay the strips down vertically on a piece of CS;
3. give the CS a quarter turn so the strips are facing you horizontally and cut into 1/2" strips.

I was feeling rebellious so I started  by cutting my patterned paper in strips of various widths: 1/4", 3/8" 1/2" and 5/8". After laying them down nice and tight on a  piece of CS, I cut it into 1/4" and 1/2" strips before putting it all together to get a pattern I sort of like.

I'm using Waltzingmouse sketch #119 but I've scaled it down to a square card. Gosh! I'm being awfully naughty! What next? Steal Santa's whiskey and cookies?!  Wonder if he'll strike me off his "Nice" list!


Here's my card... tell me what you think!

The patterned papers are by Nit Wit Christmas Collection. I picked one dark pattern  to show an obvious design.

The sentiment is from Waltzingmouse Stamps "Nutcraker Sweet", stamped in Memento Rhubarb Stalk. Then I cut it out with the smallest die from Spellbinders Resplendent Rectangles and inked with TH's Barn Door distress ink.

You can see here that I've cut the strips in irregular width. It works, doesn't? For the baubles I used Spellbinders 2010 Heirloom Ornaments. For the insides I used WMS stamps and heat embossed with Stampendous Fine White EP. Got to have some bling for festive fun.   

One final touch: rich satin ribbon and I'm done!

On the inside, I stamped streamers and snow - all from WMS "Nutcracker Sweet" with Memento Rhubarb Stalk. And I had to do some stitching ...  to make up for not having any on the outside. 
I'm also linking up with Ooh La La Creations #116 "Christmas Sentiments" (mine's in Dutch!), My Craft Spot Monday Challenge #73 "Emboss It!" , Through the Craft Room Door #40 "Anything Goes" and Fashionista Challenge #8 "Anything Goes".

That's all from me today. Thanks for dropping in and I'll see you soon with another project (hopefully I get it done in time!)

Beijinhos!


Blogged to:
Vintage Port and 

24 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous, I luv this look but have not tried it..thanks for sharing instructions...have a wonderful week!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this looks super! I love the colours and the baubles are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful Christmas card, Asha! I did not realize that Christmas was 69 days off! Thanks for sharing your card at TTCRD!
    Hugz,
    Roxann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! I love how you did your own thing and made them a variety of sizes! It is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh very elegant card, inside and out! Love the bold red and the dangling ornaments. Girl, must you count the days before Christmas?! Now I'm in a panic!!! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asha, this is absolutely gorgeous! LOVE the beautiful bling accents! :) Thanks for joining us at Technique Tuesday--I always love seeing your amazing creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card - I hope you'll link up again this week at 52 Card Pickup!

    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/10/52-card-pickup-week-41-we-have-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card Asha. I love the background and how you've used the different sizes - you rebel!
    The hanging ornaments are a great touch and giving the inside a makeover produces a very special card.
    Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! Great effect on the background! So glad you joined us this week at My Craft Spot!!!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous use of the Bargello technique, Asha! I haven't done that in so long, I'm sure I've forgotten it completely. This one just takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous patchwork background and the ornaments are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous card! The woven background is amazing and I love the ornaments! Thanks for playing at My Craft Spot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow... your card so elegant.Thanks for joining us at Fashionista Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Christmas card, Asha! The background is just amazing! Love the ornaments, too! Have a great weekend! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. That background is amazing, Asha! Love the white embossing and stamping on the ornament dies. These images give them a whole new look! Gorgeous Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your background and those ornaments are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So creative and OOAK! Fantastic!
    Thanks for joining us at Fashionista this week! Glad to see you, please join us again...and good luck...
    DT Coordinator~~ RIna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello again Asha, you really do make the most beautiful creations!
    Thank you for joining us at Technique Tuesday for this months Bargello challenge. We really appreciate that you have come to 'play' with us again and I hope we see you next month too!
    Beautiful card Asha, love everything about it, the red and white is so crisp! hugs Karen, TT Crew

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great Christmas card! Your ornament is lovely! Thanks for sharing it with us at TTCRD!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is absolutely gorgeous a quality creation that has been designed perfectly, the colours, design and sentiment look super, thank you for joining our challenge at OLLCB
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This card is so pretty! I love that you used different sizes for your Bargello strips. I also love that Santa gets whiskey--he just gets milk in the States-LOL! Thank you so much for joining us at Technique Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. stunning patchwok, papers work really well together so glad you joined us at Ooh La La
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your bargello card is beautiful! I love your Christmas colors. Thanks for joining us for Mynnette's Technique Tuesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...