Thursday, 13 September 2012

Halloween mini album + toot

Welcome to my first Halloween project this year, folks. It all started from a conversation I had with my sister about the good ol' days... growing up without a care in the world. Old photos were dug up and there was plenty of shocked gasping and the occasional shrieking. Oh yes, it was like watching Nightmare on Elm Street only this time the actors were not in make-up! If you grew up in the 70s and spent your teenage years in the 80s you know exact what I mean. From the garish bell bottoms in big bold colours of the 70s to even bigger, bolder hair and make-up of the 80s - life was one never-ending Halloween party immortalised in too many fading Technicolor Kodak moments. When my sister said we should have walked about with paper bags over our heads, I only had this to say: "Wouldn't fit. We had big hair!"

Once we got over our screech-fest, I decided to make a mini album, with a few choice photos that speak volumes, not only about a by-gone era when looking like a circus clown was considered haute-couture but of a time when life was perfectly uncomplicated.

For this project, I sought inspiration from Tuesday Morning Sketches #163 (twist: Welcome Fall. I'm using fall colours and event), Colour Throwdown #209, Robin's Fetish #124: More Than One FoldMy Time to Craft #188: More Than One Fold, Top Tip Tuesday#85: Recycle It! (I'm using a button from my MIL's old cardigan - I'll ask for permission later!), Perfect Sentiment #49: Fall & Baker's Twine, Paper Play Challenge #37: Fancy Fold,  Creative Belli #152: Fall/Autumn and Pile It On #37: Patterned Papers.














Here's my project.... and if you're looking for those pix, you'll be sorely disappointed. We're not ready to step out of that closet... not just yet!

This project measures 4-1/2" x 3-1/4". The patterned papers are by Memory Box "Nightfall". As in the sketch, I've marked the quadrants with ribbons and filled it with stamping and die-cuts. The jack-o-lantern dies are by Spellbinders. In the lower left quadrant, I stamped the crows on the music bars. There's my MIL's button in the middle - wonder if she'll notice it! 
 My pumpkins are resting on foam tape. There are several folds here and they open up ....
On the first flip: space for photos. I especially like the lyrics ... "What goes bump in the night "
Flip open one more fold - again space for photos and journalling.
Open up the last fold - and there's all the  matts on this mini-album. I've added some ribbon to tuck in tags etc. I haven't decided yet. I like these papers. Rich fall colours, great for grown-up halloween projects.
Although this is not an easel card, you could, if you wanted to stand it up like one, using the old witch's head as a stopper.  Unlike an easel card, there are no complicated cuts & folds on this one.. 
Here's a tip for you: see that bit of white foam tape showing near the witches hat? Use black foam tape if you have it. If not, take a fine-tip black marker and colour in the bit that shows. The foam tape will disappear into the background.  
Another view from the top. 
The sentiment was in the way of my ribbon, so I cut a couple of slits and threaded the ribbon through.  Used some baker's twine on the button.
Here it is all folded up. Because of the quarter inch "spine"  all layers fold down neatly.
Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Memory Box "Nightfall" 6x6
Die: Spellbinders Shapeabilities Jack-o-Lanterns  S4-281
Stamp: WMS Hocus Pocus
Inks: Brilliance Pearlescent Chocolate; Tim Holtz Distress Inks Rusty Hinge, Vintage Photo and Black Soot. 

And here's the "toot" for the base card:

Start with a piece of CS measuring 4-1/2" x 12", score and fold at 3-1/4" ; 6-5/8" ; 10" and 10-1/4".
Cut another piece of CS in same colour: 2-1/2" x 4-1/2".
I punched the bottom edge of the full-sized flap. This will be the first fold on the inside. With the punched border it will be a hair shorter and makes for a neater fold. 
I also punched the bottom edge of the smaller piece of CS ...
... and applied tape on the top edge.
Next, fold up the card base and  adhere this piece to the front flap, which is the short flap on the base card, making sure to line up the punched edge to the fold. 
This will give you a card front that is the same size as the base, when all folded up. 
Here's what it looks like all unfolded: two punched borders and a quarter inch spine on the top fold. I inked the edges and went ahead with layering and decorating. 

Thanks for dropping in. I hope you have fun with this project. It doesn't hold a ton of photos but you can easily squeeze in 5 with some room for journalling.

See you at my next post!

Beijinhos!


P.S. And swing by Make It Monday #107 for more stunning projects.


Orange cupcake, coffee and 



42 comments:

  1. What a great album!! I'll bookmark the instructions!
    But I was disappointed to scroll down and not see those wonderful pics you were describing!! ;)
    Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute album thanks for joining us at the perfect sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great mini album, Asha! Great tutorial too! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat mini album, and a great tutorial to go with it! I love seeing the sketches used for things other than cards! Thanks so much for sharing your project at Tuesday Morning Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, great project, Asha! Very clear instructions. I just may have to try this. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous creation, love the story about your fotos, yeah I'm sure I've got some really scary one knocking around too lol!
    Thanks for the tutorial, must get around to having a play

    Thank you for sharing with us at My Time To Craft this week, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great project and love the warm colours. I am saving the instructions for future ref (I keep doing this with your ideas-I think I am in dreamland thinking I will do these!)
    Also thanks for the tip on white foam and the ribbon slits is a great idea-think I should be able to manage that one! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asha this is absolutely gorgeous..... brilliant idea. Hugz Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is wonderful! I just made my first mini-album this week (it's posted on my blog if you're interested), and it was a lot of work, but so much fun! Thanks for the tutorial on yours. I think I may give it a shot. Loved your story about the photos...couldn't you share just one??? ;) Awesome take on the sketch, this just has to make you smile! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful creation and Thank You for the step by step
    Cheers
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab card and Tip love that you recycled a button and great toot too!
    Great to see you at Top Tip Tuesday for our Recycle It! challenge this time, hugs Samantha :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I was impressed at the pumpkins and then the pictures kept coming. Wow!! I said that already. Very nicely done. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your card - I hope you'll link up at 52 Card Pickup again this week!
    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/09/52-card-pickup-week-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card and great tutorial! Thanks for joining us at My Time To Craft!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Asha,how great to see you this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches! I truly love the pumpkins and the whole project..i think i now need those pumpkins because of your awesome card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love mini albums. I'll be bookmarking this for future reference.

    The pumpkins & twine are perfect for our challenge.


    Thanks for playing with us @ The Perfect Sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice project, lovely papers and great tutorial. Thanks for joining us at Robyn's Fetish Challenge this week, and sorry for being late posting but....am on holidays in Morroco, and not easy to connect.

    Laurence DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Card! Love the colors, image and style!
    Thanks for joining us at My Time To Craft!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable fall album! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fab project. But I hope you've asked permission by now for the button!! LOL That made me smile!

    Annette - Netty's Cards
    Proud to design for Top Tip Tuesday.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, your album is amazing...inside and out! Thank you for playing along with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful creation, thanks for the pictures with so many details! Thanks for joining us at Paper Play Challenge Blog this week and good luck! hugs, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow I just love it! Great mini album and I will def be bookmarking your tutorial! Thanks for sharing it with us this week at The Perfect Sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw your mini album on Make It Monday it's stunning and I love the tutorial you have written to go with it love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely stunning! Fantastic album & great tutorial. I saw you on MIM - My entry is #32 if you'd like to check it out :)

    Also, I invite you to join me at the Anything Goes challenge here: http://pinandtack.blogspot.com/2012/09/challenge-1-anything-goes-spark-your.html

    Lots of joy,
    Corrinne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful album, and a wonderful tutorial!
    I saw you over at MIM, and had to come and check out your creation!
    ((HUGS))
    Cheryl First
    aka Cafexpressions

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh gosh, this is exceptional! Terrific tutorial (thank you) and sensational pages of wonderful fall crisp colors. What an amazing amount of work you've put into this and it shows!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to link up your talent and creative ideas with us at Make It Monday!
    Happy Crafting...
    Lisa xx
    p.s. Had a great laugh at remembering the 80's. Not sure how many cans of Final Net hairspray I went through to create the "wall" of hair...LOL...OMG..horrific!

    ReplyDelete
  28. DOH!!! You entered at Top Tip Tuesday as well, so thank you also for that. Best of luck to you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, this is fantastic. Thanks for the tutorial. I saw it on MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your album is adorable! It would make a great gift. I saw your post on MIM and came for a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful album and colours Asha. I spotted this on Make-it-Monday..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello. I saw Your Beautiful card album on MIM..faye

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful Halloween creation. Especially like the colors & style. Thanks for sharing the step by step instructions. I'll give it a try. Thanks for entering the Perfect Sentiments Ch Fall For You with Twine.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    Sept Perfect Sentiments Guest Designer

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great project very nicely done. I found you on MIM and had to come see.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great mini album! Love the fun pumpkins decorating the cover. Thanks for joining us for this week's Color Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely card, and thanks for sharing the tutorial

    shylaashree
    http://adhiraacreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous project. Love the pumpkins on the cover. Thanks to for the great tutorial and for coming to play with us at Perfect Sentiment. Hope you'll join us again.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Its fabulous ! Thanks for the tutorial and for lovely comments ! Spotted your creation on MIM !

    ReplyDelete
  39. I spotted your wonderful creation over at Make it Monday and had to visit and take a closer look. TFS!
    My entries are # 74, # 78, # 224 and # 231.
    I would love to have you visit my blogs: Paper and Scraps Creations by Julia and Me and Myself on the Dark…
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful! Thank you for the fabulous tutorial too.


    I saw your project on MIM and had to drop by for a closer look. I'm numbers 109 & 237.

    --Cheryl--

    Stop by my blog to check out my {Belated} Birthday Blog Candy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is awesome! What a fab project and I do hope your MiL doesn't get cold and want to button her cardi up!!! lol!
    GREAT tutorial too - a perfect Top Tip, thanks for sharing with us over at Top Tip Tuesday :)

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cute little album... I saw it on MIM.

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...