Sunday, 30 September 2012

Going Dutch

Can you believe it? I'm sticking with my European Christmas series. My third festive offering is for a our Dutch friends. A lovely couple and I love them even more at Christmas time because they insist on showering us (namely moi) with Banketstaaf - the most delectable, delightful and decadent traditional Dutch pastry ... oh I'm salivating just writing about it. It's yummy warm, cold or a day old...its just divine. (Excuse me while I wipe my chin!).

While I dream of my Banketstaaf, I leave you with this card which reminds me of a gingerbread house... oh yum...again! And in case it isn't immediately obvious, I'm attempting a CAS card. My friend Sandie and I decided to challenge ourselves: she "unCASes" me while I "CAS" her... or is it the other way around: she "CASes" me while I "unCAS" her? Oh bother...  And in that nebulous fog, I offer thee my CAS effort.

CAS point 1: no patterned papers.  CAS point 2: no fancy die-cutting and layering. So far so good, Sandie?
And here's where it all goes to pot: I used an image that needed elaborate colouring because I was driven by visions of a gingerbread house. I must have used a gazillion SN and Promarker pens to get the biscuit (brickwork) right. And true to form I applied Crystal Stickes on the snow to give it an icy glow. Not so obvious in the photo. Oh woe my photography skills! 
And CAS continues its downward spiral: Embossing: hot for the sentiment and dry for the snowflake background. Some silver mirri stars for festive pizzaz!
CAS hits rock bottom: stitching. I'm addicted. Nothing looks right without it!
The shame continues inside: more embossing, lashings of Crystal Stickles, layering and stitching.
Sorry Sandie, I tried.
Supplies:
Stamp: WMS "A Cottage Christmas"
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Versamark, Stampendous Fine White EP
Colours: Spectrum Noir and Promarker alcohol markers. (details to follow)

I'm using the sketch from Waltzing Mouse Challenge #117, which I turned on its head, with a fair bit of artistic licence. Colours and thoughts of festive sweet came from Christmas Stampin' All Year Long#30: "Photo Inspiration" and for sugar frosting - Jingle Bell: "Dashing Through the Snow". As always, you'l find my card over at MIM #109.














Thanks for visiting. I'll update the long list of alcohol markers later, but now we've off to church.  Have a blessed Sunday y'all and we'll catch up soon. And Sandie.... can't wait to see what you come up with!

Beijinhos

33 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Asha! It looks delicious, and now I am salivating over thoughts of gingerbread houses. YUMMY! Not long to go now :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is beautiful and I can nothing wrong with your colouring skills it looks good enough to eat lol beautiful detail love it
    Jacki xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this house for sale, Asha? Cause I wanna move in! Your coloring is fantastic and I love the banner with the German Christmas sentiment! Love the traditional red and green in the background. I can almost smell gingerbread cooking, mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that sweet little holiday home ... so glad you dashed through the snow with us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. really Asha this is not acceptable......back to the drawing board my friend!
    Apart from it so not CAS it is gorgeous and really makes me dream of Xmas goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asha, love that you and Sandie are challenging each other! So, so fun!!! Love your gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!!! Thanks for participating in CSAYL's challenge! Hope to see you again!!!
    ~DEANNE~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is fabulous, Asha! LOVE that gingerbread image and I adore the fabulous dry embossing! Thanks for joining us at CSAYL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful, loving this image. So fun with the texture. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww beautiful card inside and outside ;). Love the embossings and of course, nothing goes wrong with stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The image you've used is great and you've done a fine job coloring it! I spotted your card on MIM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahahahahhaa so your a big lover of BANKETSTAAF :) hahahha lovely card hugs from Holland ;)
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super card - great colouring on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautifully colored house and i love the stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Asha, this is sich a beautiful Christmas card. I love the great layout, picutre and perfect stitching. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous, and you got the gingerbread colouring spot on! Saw you on MiM :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Asha. I spotted your Gorgeous card on MIM...Faye

    ReplyDelete
  18. what an incredibly ♥BEAUTIFUL♥ holiday card, i can really see all the thought, creativity and skill that went into making it so lovely! (i love that the inside is decorated, as well, always a great touch!) ♥ thanks for "dashing through the snow" with us at JINGLE BELLES this fortnight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - what wonderful coloring on your beautiful house! So, yes - you flunked CAS but created a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing card ..love these stamp set :) great colours and sketch :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card - love the coloring especially! (another one that is hard for me!) Your description of that desert has me wanting to get in touch with my Dutch roots! Sounds amazing! Like your card, but the card will last longer!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adore this house and fabulous coloring! Bankentstaaf... I soooo want to know...it sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely card!Thanks for participating with us this week at CSAYL's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Asha, love your card, saw it on MIM xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a Beautiful card. I spotted this on MIM.... LOZ

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!! What a WONDERFUL Christmas card - your coloring is AMAZING!
    Thanks for playing with us at WMSC, hugs, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Asha this is gorgeous, I love your colourwork! Saw you over on mim. Joey xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. All I can say is WOW! Asha you are amazing! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous Christmas card, Asha! Your cottage is beautifully colored! Love the embossed backgrounds too! Great work! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, this card is just fantastic, I love all the details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. hello Asha, so sweet and cute card, really lovely, thanks to play with us at CSAYL, biz

    ReplyDelete
  32. I saw your beautiful creation on Make It Monday and had to visit and take a closer look. Gorgeous! TFS!

    My entries are: #10, #11, #86, # 120, # 122, #198, #212, #226, #261 and #268.

    I would love to have you visit my blogs: Paper and Scraps Creations by Julia and Me and Myself on the Dark…

    Hugs,

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Really like the traditional colours and the stitching. Great card. Thanks for visiting over my way. Saw you on MIM.

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...