Monday, 27 August 2012

Scottie's Noel

It's late...very late,  but there's just enough time to show you something before I hit the sack.

Hello, my fellow crafters. I made this card over the weekend. It's based on an origami fold called the 5-point Star and was all the rage last year. But, as usual, I'm a little slow with fads.

It was my friend Sandie's instigation that brought my card into being. Sandie is a CAS-pert who suggested that I do something for Sassy Studio Design's Dare to be Sassy Thursdays Challenge #139. So Sandie, this one's for you! If you're into CAS cards, swing by Sandie's place for some prime examples.

My starlet is also partying over at Speedy Fox and Friends Challenge #122 "Try a Different Fold". The colours are from Winter Wonderland "Red and Green" and, just for fun we're going to A.musing Challenges "Anything Goes" and Make It Monday #104.

So here it is folks, my take on the Star Fold card:

The card measures 6" point to point. With a red eyelet in place at the top of the card, I've threaded some green gingham ribbon so it can be used as a festive deco piece too. The papers on the outside are from "Cosy Christmas" collection.
The embellishments are cut-outs from HOTP's "Forever Christmas" collection. On the tag, I stamped "Joy" and placed a golden brad. 
Open up the card and this is what it looks like on the inside.  I've used papers from HOTP's "Forever Christmas" .
Recognise the little doggie?
 Here he is up close. Adam Pescott's "Scottie" with red antlers! For the matts, I used Spellbinder dies.
A Christmas Blessings label from the same HOTP collection fits nicely at the bottom.
After the show, it flip-folds back in place. Yes, yes, you spy plenty of foam tape. Are you surprised? LOL.  I also inked the cut-outs to soften the edges.
Supplies:
Papers: "Cosy Christmas"; "Forever Christmas"
Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black and Rhubarb Stalk; Tim Holtz Vintage Photo
SN Colours: Scottie - IG1, IG2;  Bell - GB5, CT4;  Antlers & Bauble - CR11, CR9, CR7;  Shadow - EB1
Dies: Spellbinders Labels 13  S4-248; Classic Ovals LG S4-110 


Thanks for stopping by. I'm off to bed now. It's been one long hot day. In a few hours Monday madness will begin. And on that heartening note, I bid thee good night.


Tutorial Update:

1. Start with a 12"x12" piece of card stock.

2. On the top edge, mark the 6" point and draw a straight line down approximately 2". This is just to serve as a guide, so mark and draw with a pencil so you can erase it later.

3. Start your 12" ruler at the bottom corner and slide the top until the 12" mark touches the pencil line drawn in step #2 above.  Basically, you are constructing a triangle with equal sides - equilateral triangle - measuring 12".

4. Draw a line from the pencil mark to the bottom corner of of the CS.  The line will be a tad higher along the 2" pencil mark drawn earlier.

5. Repeat step 3 on the other side. At the top both the lines should inter-sect at the same point. 

6. Cut away the excess CS and you should be left with a 12" equilateral traingle as above.
7. Now you want to make a few marks along the sides of the triangle.  I've turned my triangle around with one side running along the inch-marks of my cutting mat. You can easily use your ruler for this. With a pencil, mark the centre point: 6". Then 2 more marks 2" to the right (at the 8") and 2" to the left (at the 4").  
8. Repeat this on the other 2 sides. You should have pencil marks on 4", 6" and 8" points along the  the sides  of your triangle.

9. Connect the points by scoring along the dotted lines shown above. 

10. Next, you want to fold along your score lines. On the inner score lines (marked "V") you have valley folds and on the outer score lines (marked "M") you'll make mountain folds.

11. Your triangle will now look like this.

12. Finally, fold in and tuck one flap over another so that it locks in place. And you're done with the base card. All that 'sleft to do is to layer, embellish and decorate as you please.  

This really is a fun little card. I hope you'll give it a go. Thanks for dropping by!


Beijinhos


Blogged to:
Just some seasonal music 

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card and fold Asha. I LOVE the scottie image..I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty ingenious! Wish I could make smth like this..heheh. Btw i found u on MIM.

    *hugs*
    M.
    http://quilltiqueparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shades of red and green and a lovely creation, thank you so much for joining us this week at the Winter Wonderland
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the shout! Again another amazing creation and I would def use as a decoration x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great star card. I tried this once. Gave me fits. Thanks for joining Speedy Fox and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm slow with fads too but this is amazing so will give it a try, soon hopefully. :D I love this Asha and so glad you shared it with us. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card. Well worth the effort. Thanks for joining us this week at Sassy Studio Designs. Please join us again next week. xx Rachelle SSD DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome!!!!
    Thank you so much for joining us at MIM this week! Good luck and don't forget to leave a comment for another entry for a chance at our second prize!
    Rene ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one cool card! I've never seen such a fold and I love it. :) Thanks for playing along with my Amusing Challenges this week - I'm glad you were able to join in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw you on MIM .. this is GORGEOUS!! I've never seen that fold.. It is really great!!! Love your papers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your card on MIM and had to drop by for a closer look. Your design is fabulous.

    Stop by my blog to check out my {Belated} Birthday Blog Candy!

    --Cheryl--

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun and beautifully shaped card!! Thanks for joining us at DTBST!

    Christy
    SSD DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful Christmas star card! And it's perfect for our different fold challenge!!! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Speedy Fox and Friends blog challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen the star fold card before, it is very interesting and I love the way you decorated it. I saw it on MIM. Think I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG...this is AWESOME! Thanks for joining SSD!

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the things about MIM's requirement to visit is we often get to see things that we might otherwise miss. This is such a nifty card. Super fold and great gift and card all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your beautiful creation on Make It Monday and had to visit and take a closer look. Gorgeous! TFS!
    My entries are: #159, #162, #212 and #214.
    I would love to have you visit my blog!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...