Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Birthday Card and a li'l toot

Happy Hump-day, fellow rafters...I mean, crafters. Today I have a birthday card to share. It took me almost 2 days. It's not particularly complicated, just not my usual card.

This card is for a bubbly, bouncy 5-year old with unambiguous tastes and interests. I feel compelled to share with you her thoughts: Boys under 2 are boring and boys over 3 are annoying...until they become grandfathers. All things black, grey, purple and "post-it yellow" are ugly. Pink, green, blue and "sunshine yellow" are pretty . Spinach and broccoli are yummy but fries and ketchup are yucky! A fru-fru card with stamped image of impeccably coloured victorian children ain't gonna work for this little missy.

So I made a bright pop-up card incorporating all the stuff she loves. When making cards for kids, we should really have them in mind. Often we (I am guilty of the same) create elaborate technical pieces which kids just don't understand, when all they want is something fun. I'm hoping this will be fun for little Maria. And for you... I've added a little tute at the end.

The sketch is from Retro Sketches #26 and the colours are from The Ribbon Girl Colour Challenge #22.  Inspiration also came from the following challenges: Top Tip Tuesday #84 "Happy Birthday", Celebrate the Occasion #77 "Child's Birthday", Papelitos Stamp Challenge #9 "Pretty in Pink" and  Use It #38 "Ribbon".














Here is the card. The pix are a wee bit over-exposed. My craft-room / conservatory was unusually sunny today.

All papers for this project are from Doodlebug 12x12 sheets. My sister sent me the cute ribbon about 8  months ago and has remained untouched until now. The sentiment is by Beth Gunnel, coloured with BIC markers and cut out with Spellbinders die. The card front is simple because ...
...  ta-da! The action is on the inside! A pop-up gift box. The tute for making this box await those who have the patience to read my post! No such thing as a free lunch, dearies!
Here's a side view of the box. I made a bow with the cute bumble bee ribbon and plonked it in the middle.
In this and the next couple of  pics you'll see how the card closes. The greeting is  by Forever Friends  stamped in blue.  I also attached 2 brads... just for fun. 

The box is collapsing...
... and is falls flat when closed. Perfect for mailing.
Supplies:
Papers: Doodlebug: Card front - Little Lady from Summertime;  Box - Sew Plaid from Nifty Notions;  Inside - Paper Plus Easter Kit 
Stamp: Beth Gunnel Sweet Treats; Forever Friends Greetings Stamp
Inks: Memento Rich Cocoa and Danube Blue 
Die: Spellbinders Ribbon Tags Trio Two S4-234

And here's a pictorial on how I made the box. It's a tad fiddly but not complicated at all. This is not my original idea. I saw it on YouTube, demo-ed by a Japanese / Korean / Vietnamese crafter. It was quiet difficult to follow what with the language barrier (and strange background music), so I just winged it in the end. If you're familiar with pop-up cards, then attach the box to the card base in a way that works for you.... and please, don't waste 2 days on it!

You will need 6 pieces of patterned paper measuring 2.5" x 2"- Use double sided paper because the inside will be visible. For my box I used Doodlebug Sew Plaid. Next draw a horizontal line at  the 1" mark as shown above. Along the 2.5"side  at the bottom half, make pencil marks at quarter inch, 1.25" and 2.25". The width of each panel is a quarter inch on the edges and an inch on the 2 inner panels - as shown above. Now cut vertically from the bottom to the 1" mark. Be careful not to exceed this mark.
Repeat on all 6 pieces and erase the pencils marks. 
I cut the sides as shown above so that the box will look less geometric, and hopefully more fun.
Now we construct the box. Start by sliding 2 pieces along the centre slits.  
Add one more on the side in exactly the same way, through the centre slits. 
Followed by another on the other side, as shown above. At this stage will have 2 pieces remaining. 
Continue sliding the slits as before, but now you have to align 3 slits and 3 pieces. 
Push it down slowly and one side of the box is complete. Repeat the process with the last piece on the  opposite side...
... and you should end up with a box.
Lay it on the side and gently push the box down (don't squish or smash)  and it will collapse flat.  With the slit interlocking, the box should not come undone. At this stage play with your new toy... its mesmerising! 

So there you have it! As I said before, it's not that complicated but it requires some measure of fiddle-faddle and patience. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy peasy... just like speaking Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese. Ain't that grand?!

I hope this has been useful. It's something different and quite versatile. You can adapt it for all sorts of occasions, especially Christmas. Thanks for stopping by and if you're unclear let me know and I'll send you  more pictures ... 43 to be exact! (Hahah just kidding!) I'll see you at my next post. In the meantime, check out Make It Monday #105 for tons of paper-crafting inspiration.




Beijinhos


Blogged to:
Banana walnut cupcake and




42 comments:

  1. Cute, thanks for sharing at CTO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful!! I love Maria's thoughts on boys!!
    Great tute, but one question... where do you adhere it so it opens nicely? I'd mess it up! If the box does not open, it is still a box??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there's a correct way of adhering the box to the card but here's how I did it: With the box flat, I placed it with the bottom edge running along the centre fold of the green CS. Then I carefully opened the box (it does so diagonally) and made pencil marks on the left and right pages of the green CS where the bottom points of the box rest. On the pencil marks I made a hole with the pokey tool. With a drop of Scotch Quick Dry I attached a length of twine of the 2 edges of the box that will rest on the left and right pages of green CS. When dry & secure I threaded the twine through the holes on the green CS, on both sides. Opening and closing the card while still holding to the twine, I determined how much "give" I needed (on the twine) so that the box would open in full and collapses flat with snagging. Then I taped down the twine on the back of the green CS. Finally I stuck the green CS to the card base. Does it make sense? Sorry I don't have pics, Debbie. Battery on my camera died just then.

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial and fabulous card! That surprise box in the middle is so clever!!
    Thank you for playing along with us at Use it Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are just one big show off!! Just joking, this is behond clever and way above my skill level-but you never know.......one day!
    And it will be loved x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me? show-off? why... never! but wait till you see my pop-up version of St. Paul's! hahaha!
      have a grand day, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Very nice, i like this birthday car and idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Asha, terrific birthday card & excellent tutorial sans the wierd music. ;-) I love pop-up cards but will admit to never making one, which is a shame. I simply do not have any wee one's but I'm going to find one so I can make this card for him/her. Thanks so much for joining our birthday celebration here at Top Tip Tuesday and for sharing your creative talent! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun card! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Celebrate The Occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun card, Asha! Thank you for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, thanks for sharing the 'how to'. Thanks for joining us at Ribbon Girl colour challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, great tutorial.. Hugs, Brittany, xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spinach & broccoli are yummy?!? Come on, it can't be true, LOL But seriously it is a beautiful project, which - I'm sure - the Little Miss Independent will love, it's very intriguing for a 5 years old child. Thank you for joining us at the Celebrate the Occasion challenge and hope to see you back again. Hugs
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great take on the sketch - I'd love for you to link up at 52 Car Pickup this week!

    http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/08/52-card-pickup-week-35_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Brilliant I really love this idea so different and love you shared how to do it too! I really wish you has added (tip) next to your name and added that you were sharing this as a tip/tutorial it's the perfect kind of thing to share with us as a TIP and would mean you have a chance at the tip prize,, hugs Samantha x

    ReplyDelete
  14. SENSATIONAL project! My goodness, excellent tutorial too. I never would have guessed this incredible goodness was on the inside. Nice work. :)

    Thank you so much for playing along with us at Top Tip Tuesday!
    Remember you can enter up to 3 projects and 3 tips.
    Have a great one!
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what an amazing project!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Celebrate the Occasion this week, Rachel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saw you on MIM .. this is AMAZING!!! I absolutely Love it!! And THANK YOU for the wonderful tutorial!!! You are brilliant :) Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic card and tutorial Asha. I saw this on MIM. Faye

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous card, and Thanks for the tutorial Asha..I have to make one of these..I spotted this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful card!
    So creative, just love your box inside :)
    Thanks for joining CTO this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous creation, so pleased I popped over from MIM xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a clever pop up - thanks so much for sharing tis technique I will certainly give it a go - found you on MiM

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very clever card Asha. A gorgeous suprise in the inside - I love it! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw your beautiful creation on Make It Monday and had to visit and take a closer look. Gorgeous! TFS!
    My entries are: #13 and #53.
    I would love to have you visit my blog!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Asha, this is great. Thanks for the tutorial. I saw this on Make it Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cool pop up card. Saw this on Make it Monday and had to come by to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow..this is a really nice card..love how it pops up heheh..Never managed to to a pop up card. but ur tutorial makes it soo easy..heheh.
    Dropping by from MIM.

    *hugs*
    M.
    http://quilltiqueparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is fantastic pinning it!!
    Cheers from Bangalore, India
    Sonia
    cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! This is very creative! Love the summery colors and the whole idea is just fabulous, thanks for the tutorial :)
    So glad you are playing along with us at this ribbon challenge at Use It Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations on Catching their Eye over at TTT - this is just great... and what a fabulously detailed tutorial as well, thank you!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute and clever! I saw your card on MIM and had to drop by for a closer look.

    Stop by my blog to check out my {Belated} Birthday Blog Candy!

    --Cheryl--

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous! So glad i saw it on MIM!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! That is super cool and thanks for sharing the tutorial :) Btw, I found you on MIM - My entries are 109, 112, 166 & 168 if you'd like to check 'em out.

    I also invite you to join Spark Your Creativity's Anything Goes Challenge here: http://pinandtack.blogspot.com/2012/09/spark-your-creativity-now-challenge-1.html

    Lots of joy,
    Corrinne

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pretty on the outside and what a surprise on the inside. Fabulous card and sure to make little Maria happy.
    Thanks for linking up with MIM this week
    Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
    Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  34. How magical it must be to open this up one morning and such a surprise. Thank you for the tute you make it look so easy! Visiting from Make it Monday and so pleased I did. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow this is amazing card hun. Thank you for adding the tute as well, must have a go!!!. I found you on MIM where I entered my creation which is 199. Big hugs Clare xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Saw your entry on MIM n popped to see details and was amazed to see the pop up gift box.Thanks for tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a lovely and surprising project you are sharing, thanks for the tutorial and all your pic.
    Thanks for joining the birthday party challenge at Top Tip Tuesday this time.
    Dorte,GD

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is just the perfect birthday card for our challenge and I love how you've made that gift box pop up on the inside of the card too. No wonder why you caught our eye at TTT, and can't wait to see what you are making for the GDT spot;) Thanks for playing at Top Tip Tuesday and good luck. Hope to see you back tuesday for a new challenge. Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...