Friday, 6 January 2012

Happy Lunar New Year

This year, Chinese New Year falls on January 23rd. Some folks call it the Lunar New Year. And why is this important to us? Well, we have been invited by some very good friends to celebrate this day with them up in Porto, north of Portugal. Since New Year's day is on Monday, we'll spend the weekend with them. It should be fun: big fat reunion dinner, fire crackers, dragons, gongs etc etc.  But I digress, you are here to see my card, right?

This week's challenge over at Come and Get It is all about NEW YEAR cards. I should think that would include the Lunar New Year. So here's my 5"x5" offering for this challenge:
The patterned papers are from my recently acquired Crafts-Too Oriental Pack. There are 20 sheets measuring 6x6 and all are gold foiled - very oriental and pretty. I've layered these papers on cream CS which I ran through my Bigshot with Cuttlebug d'Vine Swirls embossing folder. 
I applied Diamond Stickles on the raised swirls for shine. You can probably see it from this angle.
I made this fan from the same paper pack and stuck it down to some cream CS which I cut with Nellie Snellen's  Dots Hexagon Multi-frame Die (MFD026). I inked the edges with TH's Barn Door Distress Ink. The greeting is from Personal Impressions "All Year Round" set stamped with Memento Rich Cocoa.
I also added a red mulberry paper rose.
Everything is sitting on foam tape...I seem to do that alot these days ;-)
And on the inside, some more of that pretty oriental paper all neatly tied up with red string. I'm sure that's symbolic in some way in the Far East!
I've also posted this card over at Cute Card Thursday. Loads of cards there for inspiration.
Thanks for stopping by. I'll see you at my next post!

4 comments:

  1. Great Card for our challenge, Love the fan that you made for the Lunar New Year. Happy New Year to you and yours and thanks for joining us at Come and Get It.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty card. It is so sweet and unusual. Love it. Thank you for taking part in this week's Come and Get It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for joining our first challenge of the year at Papertake Weekly with this beautiful card Asha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful!
    Many thanks for joining in the first Cute Card Thursday challenge of 2012!
    Happy crafting, Debxx

    ReplyDelete

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...