Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Budding Musician

Cards for older children, tweens and teens have always been tricky for me. Too childish? Too girlie? Too mature? Too loud? Or not enough? And of course the real stumper: "what's in" or more importantly, "what's out".

When I set about making a card for my good friend's nephew, I had the same concerns. What are little boys into these days? This young man is 8, lives in Romania and is very much into music - real music, not the stuff that gives you a migraine. To me it sounded like a job for the Cricut "Quarter Note" cartridge...and I was kinda hoping Mihai would agree!

Here's the final cut - a 5"x5" card that looks like this:

I don't usually mix patterned papers, but I couldn't have picked 2 very different collections. Basic Grey's "Pyrus" supplied the background and striped panel. The music sheet came from HOTP's "Forever Christmas" pack. I added a couple of blue mini brads to even out the card.
I hand stitched the panels with dark brown embroidery floss and added his name and age with black peel-offs. 
I adhered the cut-outs to the card using foam tape for some dimensional interest.
For the inside, I stamped the greeting on a strip of the music sheet and adhered it to the top, leaving plenty of room a message below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Kind Words can be short and easy to speak but their Echos are truly endless." - Mother Theresa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...